My attention was recently caught by
an internet argument on facebook about harassment towards women on the streets,
catcalling in particular. It started when a friend of a friend (I use the term
friend loosely, as she is more of just a facebook friend I met once in real
life and never talked to again) posted a video on her wall about street
harassment towards women with the title "this sickens me". *I posted
the video below*
My curiosity and tendency to procrastinate homework got the better of me and I watched the video. It starts out with an average looking young woman who has a person in front of her discreetly filming her as she walks through New York for 10 hours with the reactions of people walking by her being filmed. The "harassment" include comments such as "How you doing today?" "Have a good day" and "God bless you". I was astounded by the flood of berate feedback on the video of women saying men are pigs/creeps, men don't respect women and my personal favorite "No woman should ever feel scared walking down the street period".
It seems so ridiculous to me that a man simply talking to woman would scare her enough to not want to walk down the street. The act of simply saying hello, no matter who the person is never comes off as creepy to me. I was raised with the belief that everyone should be treated equally and I think everyone should treat each other the way they would want to be treated.
My curiosity and tendency to procrastinate homework got the better of me and I watched the video. It starts out with an average looking young woman who has a person in front of her discreetly filming her as she walks through New York for 10 hours with the reactions of people walking by her being filmed. The "harassment" include comments such as "How you doing today?" "Have a good day" and "God bless you". I was astounded by the flood of berate feedback on the video of women saying men are pigs/creeps, men don't respect women and my personal favorite "No woman should ever feel scared walking down the street period".
It seems so ridiculous to me that a man simply talking to woman would scare her enough to not want to walk down the street. The act of simply saying hello, no matter who the person is never comes off as creepy to me. I was raised with the belief that everyone should be treated equally and I think everyone should treat each other the way they would want to be treated.
http://youtu.be/b1XGPvbWn0A
No comments:
Post a Comment